lauantai 1. helmikuuta 2014

Something in english about 'chair-less January'

Hi,

I spend whole month not sitting in chair. This blog is about it. It was challenge given by Finnish Yle Prisma studio to raise awareness of health aspects of sitting.

Challenge was to participate by redusing statical sitting periods. Or sitting more actively (gym ball, taking breaks), working as standing. Balance-Pad for sitting or standing may be used. Some people participated also with 'extreme status' trying to not sit at all.

My reasons to participate was that I was sitting in work, in home and in hobby - almost all the time. And I have back pains. Couple of walks, jogs or exercise didn't help the situation. Too much sitting and how to minimize it - desperate equation. Then I notice this challenge - this way I can make life change and this sound so funny that have to participate :)

During this month I experinced that my metabolism got more active. I loose some weight even thought I ate more. I didn't have back pains at all in night - I have been sleeping so well! Surprisingly big effect to mind... active and bright feeling. Some pains of course occurred with this radical change - in legs and back, but in day time and I could manage it. Mostly some stretching needed or litle lying in soffa helped ;)

Funny extreme situations handled too, in movies, in hairdresser, doctor... some pictures here in this blog. :) I think those will not happen ever again ;-)

Challenge was not easy to carry out all the time. In sosial situations I took gym ball to use - that no need to stand when othes are sitting. In the beginning some days in work was hard, had to go to dressing room to lye down for couple of minutes.

But already from the beginning of the month I felt more energetic (than in normally in dark winter time). In work I was more effective and little bit less mails, due more walking to colleagues to ask first. Only when I had very punctilious task - I felt need to sit down. But I didn't. It took some minutes more time to execute the task, but in the whole picture I feel I was more effective.

Lots of talking with friends and strangers about issue :) Good way to have contact with people in different places.

Challenge is over, I manage it, yes! So good feeling now. Roughly 300 hours of sitting in month change to standing,squat, little bit on bended knees, some lying. And I'll continue to work with standing and try not to sit in home so much in future too!

And have to thank you; family and all friends and peer group in Facebook, couldn't do this life change on my own. <3

-Pirita 

p.s. first day in this year that I sat down to enjoy meal and later cup of coffee in neighbor, that I missed the most in January

p.p.s. I allowed myself to sat in toilet and car! And also used after one week of January gym ball with table when eating and in coffee breaks in work. :D

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti